Location: Mount Ayr
Posted on: June 25, 2022
At Hy-Vee our people are our strength. We promise "a helpful
smile in every aisle" and those smiles can only come from a
workforce that is fully engaged and committed to supporting our
customers and each other.
Job Title: Checker/Stocker
Provides prompt, efficient, and friendly service to customers and
assist them when necessary. Operates a cash register and the duties
which correspond. Package product, work with drive-up and/or
carry-out. Replenishes product as needed. Unloads product, opens
containers, stocks shelves, and rotates product where
* Growth mindset
* Results oriented
* Customer focused
Accountable and Reports to: District Store Director; Store Manager,
Assistant Managers of GM, Perishables, and Store Operations;
Positions that Report to you: None
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Provides prompt, efficient and friendly customer service by
exhibiting caring, concern and patience in all customer
interactions and treating customers as the most important people in
* Smiles and greets customers in a friendly manner, whether the
encounter takes place in the employee's designated department or
elsewhere in the store.
* Makes an effort to learn customers' names and to address them by
name whenever possible.
* Assists customers by:
* escorting them to the products they're looking for
* securing products that are out of reach
* loading or unloading heavy items
* making note of and passing along customer suggestions or
* performing other tasks in every way possible to enhance the
* Answers the telephone promptly when called upon and provides
friendly, helpful service to customers who call.
* Works with co-workers as a team to ensure customer satisfaction
and a pleasant work environment.
* Operates cash register accurately and scans product, (where
* Redeems promotional coupons, food stamps, WIC checks, issues rain
checks, receives cash, checks, completes credit-card charge
transactions, in-store charges and figures discounts, as well as,
counts back change and issues receipts.
* Places merchandise in bags or boxes, gives packages to customers,
and assists courtesy personnel as needed.
* Answers customer questions and concerns and follows-up with
* Understands and follows local, state, and company policies on
sales of tobacco, liquor, and lottery tickets.
* Ensures compliance with local, state, and federal guidelines
regarding WIC and food stamps.
* Required to know value, look-up numbers, department numbers, and
features of items for which money is received.
* Stocks, faces, rotates merchandise, cleans shelves, understands
shelf tags, knows location of merchandise in the store and also in
the back room, and takes customers to an item when requested.
* Perceives immediate surroundings for customer needs and problems
for store safety and security.
* Communicates clearly and distinctly on the intercom or telephone
* Reviews weekly store ad to note price changes and sale items.
* Keeps register area clean, ensures adequate supplies are ready
and available, reports improper cash levels in cash drawer, and
helps maintain the store appearance.
* Compares totals on cash register with amount of currency in
register to verify balances at the beginning and end of work shift,
* May give cash refunds or issue credit memorandums to customers
for returned merchandise or know where to direct the customer.
* Understands and practices proper sanitation procedures and
ensures the work area is always clean and neat.
* Maintains strict adherence to department and company guidelines
related to personal hygiene and dress.
* Adheres to company policies and individual store guidelines.
* Reports to work when scheduled and on time.
* Unloads product, opens containers, stocks shelves, and rotates
product where necessary.
Secondary Duties and Responsibilities:
* Assists store management as required (i.e., store displays,
decorations for special promotion/events).
* Knows code dates on perishable items and can explain to
* Changes register tape and ribbons as necessary.
* Assists in other areas of store as needed.
* Performs other job related duties and special projects as
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Worker Characteristics:
* Must be able to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or
verbal instructions; deal with a few concrete variables.
* Must have the ability to do arithmetic calculations involving
fractions, decimals, and percentages.
* Have the ability to understand and follow verbal or demonstrated
instructions; write identifying information; request supplies
verbally or in writing.
Education and Experience:
No education or experience requirements.
* Must be physically able to exert up to 50 pounds of force
frequently; and exert up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move
objects. (Can be accommodated)
* Visual requirements include vision from less than 20 inches to
more than 20 feet with or without correction, depth perception,
color vision, and field of vision.
* Must be able to perform the following physical activities:
Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, reaching, standing,
walking, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and
This position is exposed to dirt, noise, equipment movement hazard,
and chemicals/solvents daily. This position is also occasionally
exposed to temperature extremes, possible dampness, and the
potential for electrical shock. There are possible equipment
movement hazards from a pallet jack, electrical shock, and exposure
to chemicals and solvents. This is a fast paced work
Equipment Used to Perform Job:
Pallet jack, box cutter, cash registers, trash compactor, fork
lift, calculator, telephone, intercom, cardboard compactor, power
jack, copier, fax (within wage and hour guidelines).
Has daily contact with customers, co-workers, suppliers/vendors,
and the general public.
Are you ready to smile, apply today.
Keywords: Hy-Vee, Saint Joseph , Checker/Stocker, Other , Mount Ayr, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!