Animal Caretaker (Multiplication) - Corning, IA
Company: Iowa Select Farms
Posted on: May 16, 2022
IOWA SELECT FARMS - JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: Multiplication Caretaker
REPORTS TO: Multiplication Manager
PREPARATION DATE: 11/27/18
PURPOSE OF POSITION: To work as a team member caring for and
administering to weaned gilts and feeder sized gilts to assure
optimum productivity. This person will assist where needed working
with animals and light facility repair.
- Adhere to ISF production well-being policies at all times and
collaborate with PWB team to ensure all employees follow and
enforce ISF production well-being policies.
- Adhere to ISF biosecurity policies at all times and ensure direct
reports are properly trained to ISF biosecurity policies.
- Adhere to ISF safety policies and procedures. Wear appropriate
safety equipment (PPE) for appropriate tasks and work in a safe
- The three key responsibilities listed above are all tracked via
audits, you play a critical role in the success of audits for the
entire farm which also impacts incentive bonus payouts.
- Care and management of animals to ensure that:
- Animals are properly fed.
- Water is available.
- Observation of all animals daily and ensuring sick animals are
- Overall animal conditions are evaluated and maintained.
- Follow proper steps for timely euthanasia and be able to identify
when it is needed.
- Care and management of facilities to ensure that:
- Fans, curtains, heaters and other equipment are working
- Ventilation equipment is adjusted to provide proper
- Facilities are kept clean, including power washing and
- Facilities are organized and repaired between groups of pigs or
- Promote and demonstrate safe animal handling practices.
- Maintain accurate records using ISF protocols to complete
necessary forms and electronic data.
- Order and dispense medications and vaccinations according to ISF
- Proper handling of chemicals (storage and application) and follow
- Follow ISF mortality removal protocols and ensure safety and
biosecurity procedures are being followed.
- Move animals (gilts and boars) using ISF safe handling
- Provide feedback to farm manager.
- Receive, sort and pen incoming pigs.
- Assist with loading and unloading activities.
- Assist with month end inventories on animals and supplies.
- Demeanor should be positive and professional at all times.
- Daily focus should be on welfare of animals, not personal
- Attendance is critical. Be at work on scheduled days and be ready
to walk into barns by given start time.
- Be friendly, positive, helpful, team-oriented and respectful to
co-workers and management team.
- Flexibility in hours during health and staffing challenges is
- Perform other tasks assigned by manager or supervisor
Bilingual: Not required
Education/ Experience: None required
This position requires the farm manager to work closely with other
managers, supervisors, production staff and other company
employees, so teamwork and effective communication skills are very
important. Direct contact with animals will occur, so good
stockmanship and bio-security practices must be understood and
practiced at all times. The employee must be able to, with or
without accommodation, work in all facilities within the
requirements of this job description.
This person must be motivated and be able to follow directions and
complete tasks effectively. Thus, they must have initiative,
organization, and dependability. Physical requirements include the
ability to lift up to 40 pounds, remove mortality weighing up to
300 lbs. with farm supplied tools, and climb over gates up to 48
inches in height. While performing the duties of this job, the
employee is regularly required to walk and stand, use hands to
finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, controls, or animals. The
employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms;
climb or balance; and talk or hear.
Keywords: Iowa Select Farms, Saint Joseph , Animal Caretaker (Multiplication) - Corning, IA, Other , Bedford, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!