Assistant Deli Manager
Company: Cosentino's Food Stores
Location: Saint Joseph
Posted on: October 25, 2018
" Position Objective: To assist customers in their shopping experience by leading the Deli team in a way that not only promotes growth for the company, but also results in a team that delivers the product and service Cosentino customers have come to expect.
Reporting Structure: This position formally reports to the Deli Manager.
Status: This is a non-exempt position.
The following is a list of any certifications, formal education, or training requirements for this position.
- A food handling permit must be obtained within the first 14 days of employment.
- Minimum of (6) months previous experience in a deli, bakery, restaurant or food service operations position is required.
- Completion of ongoing training and development as listed on the Cosentino Learning Plan.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required. Skills
The following is a list of the basic skill requirements for this position.
Essential Job Functions
- In the absence of the Deli Manager, provide direct supervision of the activities of other members of the deli team in a manner that is operationally effective, but is also motivating and respectful.
- Promote a positive overall team atmosphere that includes cooperation and teamwork, high morale, positive interpersonal interactions and communications, and recognition for a job well done.
- Assist the Deli Manager in conducting effective interviews to hire the highest quality candidates for the deli team.
- Provide effective coaching, corrective actions, and performance evaluations to improved individual and team performance.
- Address employee relations issues and, if needed, effectively work with the Deli Manager, Store Director and/or Human Resource team to resolve issues.
- Practice effective inventory management by counting and verifying merchandise against invoices and inspecting deliveries against for shortages, damages and quality.
- Procure items from suppliers and notify Deli Manager of any special inventory needs in a timely manner.
- Know and practice rotation procedures to ensure product dates are properly monitored.
- Enforces strict quality control measures of all deli product put out in cases, hot lines and other areas of the deli.
- Know and practice appropriate portion control in deli production and service.
- Know and promote ads and specials to increase department sales and profits.
- Promote department sales by suggesting additional products and offering samples to customers.
- Know the location of the items in your department so you can accurately and courteously answer customer questions.
- Meet or exceed productivity standards to produce desired team and individual results.
- Resolve customer complaints in a professional manner and recognize when it is appropriate to involve a member of the store management team.
- Know and implement the Cosentino Customer Service Standards.
- Know, comply with, and ensure the team complies with all health regulations, sanitation guidelines and safety procedures for your department and your store.
- Able to operate, clean and maintain all equipment safely and competently.
- Ensure the department is always clean, fully stocked and creatively merchandised.
- Demonstrates the strong verbal and interpersonal skills necessary for positive customer and peer interactions.
- Demonstrates the basic math and reading skills required for the position. Non-Essential Job Functions
- Assist Deli Manager in managing labor costs in a way that successfully balances the customer's need for service with the company's need to closely monitor expenditures.
- Efficiently and accurately prepare, package and label products for sale to customers.
- Practice open communication with store management team regarding any issues in the deli department.
- Ensure all coolers, freezers and preparation areas are clean and set up in advance for deliveries.
- Quickly unload incoming shipments and neatly stock them in their designated areas without damaging merchandise.
- Support your company by completing additional tasks identified by management, assisting other stores or departments as needed and gaining new skills when necessary. Physical Abilities
The following physical movements could potentially be part of any scheduled shift and employees will be expected to perform these actions while on duty.
- Reaching overhead with both arms up to a maximum of 84 inches, twisting at the waist and lifting objects with both hands weighing up to 30 lbs.
- Pushing and pulling grocery items to the proper locations as needed, up to a peak force of 40 lbs.
- Standing and walking for long periods of time on tile, asphalt, concrete or other hard surfaces.
- Occasionally lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs.
- Bending and squatting, at times all the way to floor level.
- Able to work in colder conditions of the grocery coolers and freezers. Non-Essential Abilities
- Climbing a ladder, possibly up to 15ft. Core Competencies
The following is a list of overall competencies identified for this role. This profile is based on the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities for the position.
- Conveys passion and enthusiasm in the leadership role and is a catalyst for action, change, and innovation for others in the workplace.
- Is clear and consistent when communicating the organization's mission, vision and values so that every individual understands his/her role in the bigger picture.
- Inspires and motivates others to achieve the milestones that will lead to both individual success and company growth.
- Able to look beyond daily operations and identify higher level issues and possibilities for the future state of the organization.
- Effectively communicates the importance of the organizational vision to build a sense of commitment, loyalty, and direction for others. Operational Results
- Consistent focus on bottom line results and operational excellence in all day-to-day activities, processes, and procedures.
- Can be counted on to deliver results that are of the highest operational integrity and consistently meets or exceeds operational standards.
- Is knowledgeable of and capable of utilizing all available tools, technology and other resources to achieve the desired result in the most cost effective and time efficient manner.
- Demonstrates an understanding of business management concepts, but also has the skills and follow through to successfully strategize and implement the plans developed from these concepts.
- Able to anticipate potential threats to the business strategy and demonstrates an agile problem solving capability in order to maneuver around those challenges. Managing the Workplace Environment
- Promotes a workplace environment that encourages respect, professionalism, open communication and is free from discriminatory and/or harassing behavior.
- Encourages appropriate workplace relationships that facilitate high morale, cohesive teams, and a motivating workplace environment.
- Demonstrates unwavering integrity, trustworthiness, and ethical behavior in dealings with others.
- Asks everyone to take ownership for their work, to be accountable for the outcome of their efforts, and to take pride in their contributions in the workplace.
- Ensures credit is given to team members and encourages public recognition of a job well done through both formal and informal recognition programs.
- Injects energy, a sense of urgency, and a strong service mentality into the workplace environment.
- Demonstrates effective conflict resolution techniques and supports others in utilizing these strategies as needed to maintain a productive working environment.
- Shows no tolerance for gossip, undermining, or other sabotaging behavior that can deteriorate productivity and morale. Quality Decision Making & Sound Judgment
- Makes quality decisions in a timely manner.
- Exercises sound judgment and independent thinking in order to make decisions, even when under pressure or when dealing with ambiguous situations.
- Quickly considers all pertinent aspects of a situation when making a decision while still avoiding "paralysis by analysis".
- Can anticipate pros and cons of a decision and foresee possible consequences of a decision, choice, or action.
- Able to make decisions based on both short-term and long-term outcomes.
- Recognizes when it is appropriate to seek input from outside sources (i.e. HR or a higher level manager). Maximize Team and Individual Performance
- Committed to growing the skills..... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Cosentino's Food Stores, Saint Joseph , Assistant Deli Manager, Hospitality & Tourism , Saint Joseph, Missouri
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!